[Gdal-dev] Where's the _gdal module?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Apr 9 11:33:21 EDT 2007

Roger André wrote:
> Ahh, well that may be the crux of the problem.  I ran ./configure with no
> options, since I was unsure of what to set.

Roger,

Try to run it this way, to configure the Traditional (for more details,
see the URL below):

./configure --with-python --without-ngpython ...

> Regarding Python support, I don't know what the difference is between SWIG
> and traditional Python support.

Here you can find some explanation:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GdalOgrInPython

> I would like to be able to run the
> utilities that come with GDAL, such as "gdal_merge.py".
> It appears that in orger to do this I need to be able to
> import the gdal module.  More than that I'm afraid I don't know.

Both bindings are compatible, but I've found the traditional easier to use
because I do not run 'make install' usually, during GDAL development process.

Anyway, you should be able to use both.

> I did find yesterday that there has been some discussion about how Cygwin
> doesn't use shared libraries the way other Unix distros do, and that there
> is a cygMakefile in the gdal/pymod directory.  However, it appears to be
> old
> (refers to Python 2.1), and I have no idea how to use it as part of the
> compile process.

Unfortunately, I'm not a user of Cygwin and actually I don't know this file.
The cygMakefile looks to me as a minimal version of GNUmakefile, may be it
will work.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot