[Gdal-dev] Proposal for Unified Windows Binaries

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Sun Apr 15 13:36:54 EDT 2007

I've just spent numerous hours trying to get at least one of the
JPEG2000 drivers to work with MinGW built GDAL. I managed to compile the
ECW driver but linking was a too big pain since MinGW is not directly
supported. I also tried to to compile and link the Perl bindings in
MinGW to use the DLLs in FWTools. I ended up hacking dlltool, and I got
the thing almost working but ended up in a mysterious "illegal instruction".

Perhaps my problem is sticking with MinGW. If I switched to MS C I could
possibly use Perl (ActiveState) and other binaries.

Yes, the idea of being able to use (and tell others to use) a generic
GDAL windows installation package as a part of a bigger geospatial tool
system sounds good.

Ari