[Gdal-dev] RE: GDAL C# bindings freezing problem

Ben Greene bgreene at rapidmap.com.au
Sun Apr 15 23:35:04 EDT 2007

Sorry, here's the nicely formatted version.

I've been trying to modify an existing program to be able to read the georeferencing and image data from
geotiffs using GDAL.  The program is written in VB.Net, but for my initial attempt I wrote a library in C#,
 and used that as a go-between.  I was having frequent crashing issues when the program hit the functions
 that load the image, so I switched to another library for the image loading stuff (I was also having trouble
with indexed images, and it crashed much more often with certain images).

I was still having the crashing problems, so I removed the references to my library, and everything worked.
I tried converting my code to VB and integrating it into the original program, but I'm still having the same
issue.

When the program crashes, it just freezes, taking the debugger with it (when I try to break, the environment
freezes.  I then have to kill the process, and the debugger unfreezes).  This happens at different lines
throughout the program, and for some images very occasionally (one in 20 executions maybe) won't
happen, but with others will work most of the time.  There doesn't seem to be any pattern to the
compression used, but larger images seem to be slightly more likley to crash.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Cheers