[Gdal-dev] Re: Proposal for Unified Windows Binaries

Artur Redzko artur.redzko at tatukgis.com
Mon Apr 16 03:25:16 EDT 2007

Ari Jolma napisał(a):

> Frank Warmerdam kirjoitti:

>> Generally speaking if you use the C API I *think* there should be

>> no cross-heap / cross-runtime problems but I'm not 100% sure of this

>> myself.  I'm imagining shipping a core built with VC7.1.

> The current bindings use the C API but they also use the Colortable

> class C++ API. That may cause some problems when trying to use a GDAL

> DLL built with other compiler than what you are using.

Maybe that's why I have problems with using standard DLL and C API in Delphi.

>> I think if we build with VC7.1

> Where can one get (even buy) VC7.1 (aka Visual C++ .NET 2003)?

> My opinion is that the GDAL DLL binary package should be distributed as

> an end-users version and then there should be an associated developers

> package with include files and import libraries and/or DEF files.

That would be great. Other products using GDAL like openev change distributive dll-s requiring lots of additional stuff instead of one simple DLL.

> Best regards,

> Ari

>>So where do we go from here?  Should we get Mateusz to prepare initial
>>binaries for 1.4.1 based on the suggested pattern?

Yes, please.

So when Mateusz can prepare initial binaries for 1.4.1, with version exporting C API without C++ stuff, so it can be easily used with Delphi (that doesn't like C++) ?

Pozdrowienia / Regards
AR