[Gdal-dev] [motion] Migration of web pages to the Wiki

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Thu Apr 19 19:22:55 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Matt Wilkie wrote:
>> Another issue I ran into was devising a scheme to easily discriminate
>> between end user and developer docs. I floated an idea for this at
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/TracDiscuss but have no responses so
>> far. I don't know whether this is because no one has noticed the page
>> or  if they just don't have an opinion. ;)
>
> Matt,
>
> To be honest, I read this over and wasn't too keen on the approach.  It
> can be quite difficult to enforce rules such as those you suggest for
> new wiki contributors so I'm inclined to avoid making rules that are
> likely to fall apart.  I am also not convinced that orderly organization
> in the index is that important an objective.

I'm not a wholehearted supporter of subwiki's myself, which is why I
just didn't dive right in. I think a better approach overall would be to
be able to tag pages with labels. E.g. ClipByPolygon could be all of
"enduser, howto, tutorial" while ClipPolyAPI is "developer,
under-discussion, incomplete" and SoftwareUsingGDAL is "enduser,
developer".  I don't see a way to do this with Trac, but I don't know
much about it yet.

> I didn't respond with my initial impressions because I hate to *always*
> be the wet blanket dumping on new ideas.  I thought I'd give others
> a chance to comment, or you a chance to test it out in practice.

The pause is appreciated. I can well empathise with not wanting to be a
wet blanket. Oftimes that seems to be my main role within our department!

> I'd suggest users focus on user pages, as long as you don't mind
> developers focusing on developer stuff!

Not at all, that's why I'm seeking an easy filtering mechanism to begin
with :) Maybe I'm jumping the gun though, and it's better to just start
adding material and once we have a corpus it will be easier to see how
to organise it.

cheers,

--
matt wilkie