[Gdal-dev] VERSION file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Apr 28 11:40:00 EDT 2007

Folks,

Does anyone know what the VERSION file is for in the GDAL distribution?
I'm thinking of getting rid of it, with the contents of gcore/gdal_version.h
being the one live definition of the current version.

I think I long ago introduced this file as a sort of documentation for
the version, but it has been superceeded by gdal_version.h, and the
reporting from gdal-config.

Howard has indicated that the python setup.py script uses the file, but
could be fairly easily altered to use gdal_version.h.

I'm asking because it is getting confusing to keep everything in sync.