[Gdal-dev] Outstanding RFCs

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Apr 28 16:00:37 EDT 2007

Folks,

I've migrated the governance docs and RFCs all to the wiki (tedious work!).

I'm hoping for a mid-summer release of GDAL/OGR 1.5.0 and so I'm keen to
firm up major changes that will be going into it.  Looking at the existing
posted RFCs I see:

RFC 4: Geolocation arrays (FrankW)

This one is stalled on me working out how to use geolocation arrays with
gdalwarp, and I'm happy to put it off till after the 1.5 release.

RFC 5: Unicode support in GDAL (AndreyK)

I'd love to see this one revised and into GDAL for 1.5 release.  How close
to the top of your stack is this issue Andrey?

RFC 7: Use VSILFILE for VSI*L Functions (EricD)

I think there are a few complexities not recognised in this one, but the
idea has certainly grown on me, and I'd like to see it proceed.  Eric, are
you still interested in pursuing this?

RFC 10: OGR Open Parameters (AndreyK)

If this is going to go in for 1.5 I'd like to see it incorporated
fairly soon.  I'd be willing to do work on support for a standard
way that open arguments can be wrapped in the datasource name, and
updating a few drivers to use it.  Ideally, I'd like to see this
mechanism also applied in GDAL as well as OGR.  Is this still of
interest to your Andrey, or has it been superceeded by other
developments?

I will also be preparing a couple development RFCs myself - the thing
that originally got me digging into this.

One will be for "fast image identification" - essentially a way of
checking what format files are without the expense of fully opening
them.

Also one about drivers keeping explicit track of all the files in a
dataset, so that datasets can be renamed, deleted and so forth in a
more organized fashion.

I'll get these written up over the next week or so.