[Gdal-dev] Outstanding RFCs

Eric Dönges eric.doenges at gmx.net
Mon Apr 30 13:52:38 EDT 2007

Am 28.04.2007 um 22:00 schrieb Frank Warmerdam:

> Folks,
>
> I've migrated the governance docs and RFCs all to the wiki (tedious
> work!).
>
> I'm hoping for a mid-summer release of GDAL/OGR 1.5.0 and so I'm
> keen to
> firm up major changes that will be going into it.  Looking at the
> existing
> posted RFCs I see:
>

> RFC 7: Use VSILFILE for VSI*L Functions (EricD)
>
> I think there are a few complexities not recognised in this one,
> but the
> idea has certainly grown on me, and I'd like to see it proceed.
> Eric, are
> you still interested in pursuing this?

Frank,

yes I am still interested. The quick and dirty solution (typedef
VSILFILE to void *)
should be doable in a couple of hours; it's basically just search and
replace. We would
probably break binary compatibility for any code using the C++
interfaces directly due
to C++ name mangling, so that should be considered before going ahead.

Personally, I would prefer a typesafe solution by defining VSILFILE *
as a new opaque
datatype as described in the RFC, but I don't see how we can do this
without breaking
source compatibility as well, so that's probably out for now.

With kind regards,
Eric