[Gdal-dev] int64 support?

Vincent Schut schut at sarvision.nl
Mon Aug 13 03:47:04 EDT 2007

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Vincent Schut wrote:
>> Not really necessary, but it would be convenient if gdal supported
>> (u)int64 data... Using numpy on my amd64 linux pc, when I create a numpy
>> array without specifying the datatype it defaults to int64, which gdal
>> refuses to save. Usually an 'astype(int32)' suffices, but still it is a
>> bit annoying sometimes.
>
> hmm this isn't a very compelling argument to me.
>
> The question is: Do you have a need to create/read (u)int64 data?
>
> If there is a need for that, then it may be worth supporting, but if
> it's only about the defaults of numpy -- that should be addressed
> elsewhere: either in your code or in numpy itself, which brings me to:
>
> <large snip>
> In short -- if you follow numpy and GDAL best practices you shouldn't
> have a problem.
Hey, point taken :) I think I made it pretty clear, but here's again: it
isn't even close to a *problem* for me. It's just a convenience issue,
and certainly not more than that, and probably just comes forth from my
lazyness of not always following best practices when I need to shortly
(and under time pressure) create some numpy/gdal based image processing
thingy. But definitely not worth a lot of effort. Even writing all these
mails might have been too much already... ;-)