[Gdal-dev] FOSS4G Bug Squash

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Aug 29 12:35:04 EDT 2007

Folks,

Friday September 28th in Victoria (the day after FOSS4G 2007 closing events)
there will be a big room with tables, chairs and internet connectivity provided
by the committee for a "code sprint day" for interested projects.

A code sprint is a fairly specific technique to implement software in an
intense, focused and planned way by a team of developers in one place.  I'm
not sure I am up to planning an effective code sprint for the GDAL project
for that day, so instead I'd like to propose a less formal event - a
"Bug Squash".

That is, all interested developers and users would assemble and through the
day we would try to fix as many open bugs (and perhaps even some news bugs
discovered during the event) as we can.

The GDAL 1.5.0 release is coming up (a bit later than my original plan),
and my thinking is that I would arrange a first 1.5 beta before FOSS4G,
and that we would have another beta released at the end of our bug squash
day leading up to a final GDAL 1.5 release in early October.

The FOSS4G 2007 Code Sprint page can be found at:

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/FOSS4G2007_CodeSprint

I'm proposing to create a GDAL specific bug squash page at:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/BugSquash2007

I'd appreciate people adding themselves to that Trac wiki page if they are
interested in attending.  I'll try and fill in more details as well.

A few other notes:

  o I think it would be good to have some people not in the room participating
    to some degree via IRC, though obviously being there is better.

  o I'd like to produce a set of "GDAL Team" t-shirts which we could give
    to participants that day (another email to follow) and I'd also like to
    provide food for participants (pizza?, lunch out?).

  o A number of other projects will also be doing activities in the same big
    room.  While that may be a bit chaotic, I think it will be a great
    opportunity for some cross-project efforts.

A day of hacking and fun, uninterrupted by presentations or speeches - the
perfect un-conference!