[gdal-dev] Debug builds on Unix

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 4 10:27:45 EST 2007

Folks,

I neglected to mention that just before the beta was issued last night I
also reworked how debug builds are requested for GDAL on unix-like builds.
The CFG environment variable has been removed and GDAL now respects setting
of the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS environment variables before running configure.
So now, the normal way to request a debug build is:

export CFLAGS=-g
export CXXFLAGS=-g
./configure

The normal way to request an optimized build is:

export CFLAGS=-O2
export CXXFLAGS=-O2
./configure

The default is to use -g -O2 (which I find to be the worst of all worlds).

While I don't especially love this approach, it seems to be inline with unix
packaging standards and will hopefully make GDAL easier for folks to use since
it works more like everything else.