[gdal-dev] gdal and python 2.5

Michael ODonnell odonnems at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 7 15:30:09 EST 2007

Hi, I am new to this group and a relatively new user of gdal and python. I have been using a gdal python binary with python 2.4.1 on Windows XP, but I was forced to upgrade to 2.5.1 python. I have seen a couple postings in the last few months (gdal discussion list) on this topic and I was curious if anyone has built gdal binaries for python 2.5.1?

Is this possible without making a lot of changes to gdal and is numeric still required or has gdal switched over to numpy entirely?

What version of VS would be required?

 I think python 2.5.1 is still compiled with VS2003, which I ran into numerous problems, which are explained below. I have not compiled python or gdal before so I am not sure I can do this easily myself especially if a lot of modifications are required.

The reason I had to upgrade was because I am using scipy weave.inline to apply algorithms to raster datasets. GDAL converts the raster datasets to arrays, but python is extremely slow as soon as I start nesting loops such as a large kernel within the loop of each target cell. I found documentation that shows this method is much faster and could save me weeks of processing my datasets. However, I was unsuccessful at using scipy weave with 2.4 and VS2003/VS2005. I was successful using scipy weave with python 2.5.1 and mingw. Therefore, I upgraded. But now I can't get GDAL to work under python 2.5.1.

Can anyone provide some suggestions on what I might do?

Are there adequate documents that may help me compile gdal using the same compiler that was used to compile the binaries of python?

Does anyone know what compiler was used for python 2.5.1?

Thank you for your comments,
Michael