[gdal-dev] gdal and python 2.5

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 15:43:13 EST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007, at 2:30 PM, Michael ODonnell wrote:

> Hi, I am new to this group and a relatively new user of gdal and
> python. I have been using a gdal python binary with python 2.4.1 on
> Windows XP, but I was forced to upgrade to 2.5.1 python. I have seen
> a couple postings in the last few months (gdal discussion list) on
> this topic and I was curious if anyone has built gdal binaries for
> python 2.5.1?
>
> Is this possible without making a lot of changes to gdal and is
> numeric still required or has gdal switched over to numpy entirely?

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GdalOgrInPython#the-history-of-using-gdal-ogr-in-python
   describes the current situation.  For GDAL 1.5, the Python bindings
will be numpy only, and Numeric support is not provided.  Your code
may require some minor tweaks to be able to use numpy, but none of the
scripts I have ported for use in the GDAL project required significant
changes.

> What version of VS would be required?

"Stock" Python 2.5 from python.org and ActiveState use 2003.  If we
are to provide pre-built bindings, they must use msvc2003.

It is my intention that we (the GDAL project) will provide Python
bindings (2.3, 2.4, and 2.5) in the form of eggs and windows
installers on http://pypi.python.org/pypi/GDAL/ that will be expected
to be used with our "official" binaries that we will make available on http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/win32/
  for the GDAL 1.5 release.  We haven't gotten our story straight on
what the official binaries will look like quite yet, however.  I know
this story doesn't quite help your immediate problem.

If we make a 1.5 beta binary in a few days, I will upload a
corresponding egg/.exe to pypi to match them.  If it doesn't happen
right away, please note that the 1.5 will be happening by the end of
the month, so we should at least have something by then.

As a side note, I expect the official GDAL binaries will be compiled
with msvc2005, but it shouldn't be a problem to have the Python
bindings that were built with 2003 link against them now that the
Python bindings in 1.5 no longer use and C++ API.

Hope this helps,

Howard