[gdal-dev] building gdal1.5 and apps makefile.vc

Michael ODonnell odonnems at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 11 19:13:33 EST 2007

I have been exploring how to build the new gdal 1.5 release. It turns out it was slightly a pain because I am using VS2005 express which requires some alterations to workaround the ATL. Anyhow, I was able to successfully build the gdal15.dll, but during the installation I got an error from the makefile.vc in the apps folder.

I have no idea if I am doing any of this correctly. I originally thought I had to use the setup.py build and setup.py install. However, I kept getting errors so I started using the nmake /f makefile.vc in the root directory.

I am curious about this error because I would like to learn more about how these programs work. And ultimately, I would like to finish building gdal from scratch for the experience.

My question are:
First, do the setup.py and nmake /f makefile.vc do the same thing?

Second, I looked at the makefile.vc in the apps folder and I did not see anything causing an error to occur. My error was this:
cd apps
nmake /nologo /f makefile.vc
NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make '""'
Stop

Third, the files that were included in the gdal-1.5.0b2 redirected the gdal to osgeo directory. Is it possible to set my path to osgeo rather than being redirected. This might have been resolved if I had been able to complete the build, and therefore, I am not sure what all the output looks like. Sorry for my ignorance, but this is all new to me.

OS: Windows XP Professional x86 processor
Compiler: VS2005 Express with modifications to account for atlthunk.lib
Python: 2.5