[gdal-dev] Building Gdal 1.5 beta on a 64 bit system

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Dec 12 10:44:42 EST 2007

Steve Popovich wrote:
> I am able to build the 1.5.0b2 version with ./configure
> --without-libtool --with-python but the autotest fails with
> Running tests from gcore/tiff_write.py
>   TEST: tiff_write_1 ... success
>   TEST: tiff_write_2 ... success
>   TEST: tiff_write_3 ... success
>   TEST: tiff_write_4 ... skip
>   TEST: tiff_write_5 ... success
>   TEST: tiff_write_6 ... ERROR 1: ZIPDecode:tmp/test_6.tif: Decoding
> error at scanline 0, incorrect header check
> ERROR 1: TIFFReadEncodedTile() failed.
>
> ERROR 1: IReadBlock failed at X offset 0, Y offset 0
> ERROR 1: GetBlockRef failed at X block offset 0, Y block offset 0
> Segmentation fault

Steve,

Are you possibly using an external libtiff?  There are a few tests in
tiff_write.py specifically aimed at recent bug fixes in libtiff (not
in a released version yet).  If you build --with-libtiff=internal
or build with the latest libtiff from CVS head these tests should fail.

You will likely need to delete the tiff_write.py script if you want to
run the test of the autotest suite.

> I also ran a script I wrote to produce the specmap with SWBD files and
> this beta version also outputs png.aux.xml files. The run I did with
> gdal-1.4.3 and 1.4.4 did not do this.

GDAL 1.5 enabled .aux.xml file creation and reading by default.  It
can be disabled at runtime by setting the GDAL_PAM_ENABLED environment
variable to NO.  The .aux.xml files basically hold auxilary information
like coordinate systems, and metadata when it is not supported by the
underlying format.  It is considered to be a feature, but I can't help
but wonder if people will find it irritating.