[gdal-dev] Questions about OGR ArcSDE Driver

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Dec 17 14:21:54 EST 2007

Bob Cave wrote:
> 1) The current documentation for the OGR ESRI ArcSDE driver states:
> "Curve geometries are approximated as line strings (actually still
> TODO)."  Is this item still a "TODO" item?  If so, how long might it be
> until it is completed?  How are curve objects represented until the
> curve-to-line functionality is implemented?

Bob,

It is still "TODO".   I'm not exactly sure what happens to curves.
I suspect they just result in reports of the following warning:

          CPLError( CE_Warning, CPLE_NotSupported,
                     "Unsupported geometry type: %d",
                     nSDEGeomType );

and the production of features with no geometry at all.

> 2) Does this driver require an ArcSDE client license of some sort?

I'm a bit unclear on this.  You do need the ArcSDE client libraries and the
normal way to get them is to have an ArcSDE license.  I believe that while
you are connected to SDE you are tying up an SDE client license depending
on the licensing mechanism you are using for SDE.