[Gdal-dev] RE: Urgent help needed with image conversion for the JimGray search

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Fri Feb 2 13:42:02 EST 2007

Forde, Sean writes:

> Friends - can I use gdal_translate to convert 11bit geotiff
> to jpeg? Can you tell me the command line arguments?

gdal_translate -scale 0 2047 -of JPEG $INFILE.tif  $OUTFILE.jpgshould work

Note I like to use a non-linear scale as demonstrated in the following
Python code

####################
from PIL import Image
import numarray as NA

def ImageToArray(im,power=8):
    """ """
    cols = im.size[0]
    rows = im.size[1]
    r = NA.fromstring(im.tostring(),NA.UInt16)
    #r = NA.clip(r,0,(2**power)-1)
    r.shape = rows,cols
    return r*(1.0/(2**power))

def ArrayToImage(arr,extents,max_pix=255.0,scale=1.0):
    """ """
    h = extents[0]
    w = extents[1]
    band = arr*(max_pix/scale)
    return Image.fromstring('L',(w,h),(band.astype('b')).tostring())

img = Image.open("roi.1875402401.tif")
a = ImageToArray(img,11)
a = NA.exp(a)
a -= a.min()
a *= (1.0/a.max())
img = ArrayToImage(a,a.shape)
img.save("roi.1875402401.png","PNG")

Let me know if you need a hand translating these

Norman