[Gdal-dev] FeatureDefn.getGeometryType and actual geometry type

Andrea Aime aaime at openplans.org
Sun Feb 4 09:25:25 EST 2007

Hi,
playing with OGR and polygon shapefiles I noticed that
the getGeometryType returns (wkbPolygon, 3). Yet, reading the
shapefile also multipolygons may come out.
This is no news to me, in Geotools we always say a polygon
shapefile has in fact multi-polygon geometries because
there is no real difference in the shapefile specification
between simple and multi polygons (the same happens for
lines, but not for points afaik).

What I'd like to know is, should I assume multi-geometries
may come out of a simple types for other data formats too?
Or is considered to be a bug (since there is a mismatch between
the declared type and the returned one)?

Cheers
Andrea