[Gdal-dev] WMS support in GDAL?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Feb 9 15:07:09 EST 2007

Alexandre Leroux wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Tried to google the answer but wasn't able to find clues (even if this
> was doubtlessly previously discussed). Will there eventually be WMS
> support within GDAL itself? Would developing such a driver make sense
> (considering a WMS layer is static and not much can be done with it
> other than displaying it)?

Alexander,

I think there has been someone who has implemented a WMS driver for GDAL
for their internal use, but I gather it would have been substantial work
to clean it up for general use.

I think it would be pretty easy to implement, given the WCS driver as a
guide.  But I don't have any client interest in it at this time, so I am
not actively pursuing it.

The main challenge with WMS compared to WCS is that it is very hard to
establish the nominal bounds and pixel resolution of a WMS service which
we need to represent it as a GDAL dataset.