[Gdal-dev] Link Error in 1.4 with MSVC8

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 9 12:45:02 EST 2007

Matt Hanson wrote:
> Hi, I'm getting a linking error when compiling in MSVC8 (using nmake)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> matt
>

> Creating library gdal_i.lib and object gdal_i.exp isis2dataset.obj : error
> LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: __thiscall
> NASAKeywordHandler::~NASAKeywordHandler(void)"
> (??1NASAKeywordHandler@@QAE at XZ) referenced in function "public: virtual
> __thiscall ISIS2Dataset::~ISIS2Dataset(void)" (??1ISIS2Dataset@@UAE at XZ)
> isis2dataset.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public:
> __thiscall NASAKeywordHandler::NASAKeywordHandler(void)"
> (??0NASAKeywordHandler@@QAE at XZ) referenced in function "public: __thiscall
> ISIS2Dataset::ISIS2Dataset(void)" (??0ISIS2Dataset@@QAE at XZ) isis2dataset.obj
> : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: int __thiscall
> NASAKeywordHandler::Ingest(struct _iobuf *,int)"
> (?Ingest at NASAKeywordHandler@@QAEHPAU_iobuf@@H at Z) referenced in function
> "public: static class GDALDataset * __cdecl ISIS2Dataset::Open(class
> GDALOpenInfo *)" (?Open at ISIS2Dataset@@SAPAVGDALDataset@@PAVGDALOpenInfo@@@Z)
>  isis2dataset.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "public: char
> const * __thiscall NASAKeywordHandler::GetKeyword(char const *,char const
> *)" (?GetKeyword at NASAKeywordHandler@@QAEPBDPBD0 at Z) referenced in function
> "private: char const * __thiscall ISIS2Dataset::GetKeyword(char const *,char
> const *)" (?GetKeyword at ISIS2Dataset@@AAEPBDPBD0 at Z) gdal14.dll : fatal error
> LNK1120: 4 unresolved externals NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"c:\Program
> Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\BIN\link.EXE"' : return code '0x460'
> Stop.

Matt,

I took me four hours, but was unable to reproduce this problem with VC8.

Well, ok, the four hours really was 2 minutes to reboot to windows,
10 minutes to try out my VC8 build, and then 3 hours and 48 minutes
playing Colonization - but proximity to games is one of the reasons
I hesitate to work on windows!