[Gdal-dev] ng-python and makefile.vc

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Jan 18 10:07:08 EST 2007

Didrik Pinte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two suggestions related to the ng-python bindings.
>
> [1] Concerning HAVE_NUMPY variable in GDAL_SOURCE\makefile.vc.
>
> Today it seems to be a workaround for people that don't have Numeric and
> want to compile the old generation bindings with Numeric support. It has
> not any link with the numpy package.
>
> Shouldn't this behaviour be changed to :
>
> HAVE_NUMPY=0 : means compiling the old generation python bindings
> HAVE_NUMPY=1 : means compiling the new-generation bindings with numpy

Didrik,

In the old generation python bindings, the HAVE_NUMPY controlled whether
the code looked for numeric include files to define the layout of numeric
structures, or if a "built in" version of these was used that might or
might not be right depending on the numeric version you were actually
building with.  I have modified the HAVE_NUMPY docs to reflect it only
applies to the old generation bindings:

# Comment out the following if you want to build with Python support, but
# you don't have Numeric Python installed (with include files).  Numeric
# integration may not work.  This only appears to the old generation
# bindings.
#HAVE_NUMPY=1