[Gdal-dev] GDAL and TIN formats update?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 30 11:44:41 EST 2007

Alexandre Leroux wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I've been looking for reading TIN data. In that case, it's from
> Bentley's Geopack. This is probably a proprietary format :-/
>
> When I searched for GDAL support of TIN formats, all I could find was
> this 2004 post to the list:
> http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2004-November/004552.html
> has anything changed on this issue since then?
>
> I also asked the geowanking list and posted some related links to TIN
> data structures and my initial search over Slashgeo:
> http://technology.slashgeo.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/25/1931255
> this includes a link to code and algorith for TINs (of unknown quality).

Alex,

I noticed the discussion on Slashgeo and thought of contributing, but I
didn't have too much to say.  There was a specific ASCII TIN format for
Arc/Info 7.x but I don't know that it is significant anymore.  Shapefiles
can be used for TINs, but OGR doesn't support the special types for that
very well (if at all), though shapelib can access them.  I don't believe
OGR supports any specific TIN formats.