[Gdal-dev] GDAL and TIN formats update?

Alexandre Leroux alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca
Wed Jan 31 10:21:29 EST 2007

Thanks Frank for your answer.

A colleague made me stumble on this.
This is an interesting related file format,
http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/ply/
"This document presents the PLY polygon file format, a format for
storing graphical objects that are described as a collection of
polygons. Our goal is to provide a format that is simple and easy to
implement but that is general enough to be useful for a wide range of
models. The file format has two sub-formats: an ASCII representation for
easily getting started, and a binary version for compact storage and for
rapid saving and loading. We hope that this format will promote the
exchange of graphical object between programs and also between groups of
people."

The interesting part as a TIN format is:
"The typical information in a PLY file contains just two elements, the
(x,y,z) triples for vertices and the vertex indices for each face."

Regards,

Alex

--
Alexandre Leroux, M.Sc., Ing.
Environnement Canada / Environment Canada
alexandre.leroux at ec.gc.ca