[Gdal-dev] ArcSDE Support in GDAL/OGR

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 3 17:14:43 EDT 2007

Simon Perkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in ArcSDE read / write support in both GDAL  and OGR. I
> see that there is SDE reading listed on the OGR page, but no mention on
> the GDAL page - though there is a frmts/sde directory in GDAL, so I'm
> guessing the formats page is out of date? I also saw Howard Butler's
> post from last year describing ArcSDE read support, so I'm guessing that
> GDAL has read support for both vectors and rasters? Are they both fairly
> functional?

Simon,

I see ArcSDE on this page:
  http://www.gdal.org/formats_list.html

The existing SDE support in GDAL and OGR is read-only, and believed
to work well though they aren't terribly widely used as yet as far as
I know.

> My company has a need for write access in both GDAL and OGR in addition.
> Would anyone out there, e.g. Howard, be interested in adding this, if we
> sponsored it?

Howard would be the obvious person to take on write support, and I'm
sure he would be pleased to prepare a quote.  I'll leave that ball in
his court.

> P.S. Frank: we'd talked earlier about sponsoring a Oracle Spatial
> GeoRaster driver, but, after some debate, I think we're going to use
> ArcSDE instead. Oracle Spatial just gets too expensive since it's only
> available as an option on the enterprise database (at about $40k a
> processor).

I can understand the hesitancy to go with oracle georaster at that
sort of pricing.  I'm not sure ArcSDE would have been my solution
to the problem, but hey. :-)