[Gdal-dev] ArcSDE Support in GDAL/OGR

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 21:56:21 EDT 2007

> Simon Perkins wrote:
>> My company has a need for write access in both GDAL and OGR in
>> addition. Would anyone out there, e.g. Howard, be interested in
>> adding this, if we sponsored it?
>
> Howard would be the obvious person to take on write support, and I'm
> sure he would be pleased to prepare a quote.  I'll leave that ball in
> his court.
>
>> P.S. Frank: we'd talked earlier about sponsoring a Oracle Spatial
>> GeoRaster driver, but, after some debate, I think we're going to
>> use ArcSDE instead. Oracle Spatial just gets too expensive since
>> it's only available as an option on the enterprise database (at
>> about $40k a processor).

Simon,

I'd be happy to prepare a quote for you for write support for OGR and
for GDAL.  I have a half-finished OGR/SDE write proposal written
already, and I've done some investigation about write support for
GDAL.  I found that ArcSDE's raster model maps quite nicely to GDAL,
and it should be fairly straightforward to support writing rasters to
ArcSDE.  OGR on the otherhand....

Additionally, if you get a chance, I would appreciate some rigorous
testing of the GDAL SDE driver.  It's been in the wild for a little
while, but it hasn't made it into an official release yet, and if
there are any bugs still outstanding, it would be nice to smash them
before we do a 1.5 release later this summer.

Howard

PS... wait for ArcSDE 9.3, and you'll have your raster in Postgres
solution ;)