[Gdal-dev] c# 'on the fly projection'

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jul 18 13:24:38 EDT 2007

Suray Ph wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I just start using gdal with c#. My goal is to combine several tiles into one
> image and then reproject it. All images are GTiff.
>
> I would like to know if it's possible to create a GTiff without creating a
> temporary image on the disk (indeed the signature of the Create() method of the
> Driver class requires a file name)? I just want to manipulate GTiff in memory.

Philippe,

If you use a filename like /vsimem/my.tif then the tiff will be created in
memory.  The /vsimem/ prefix is a special one for which file io is handled
specially for most GDAL drivers.

However, it is hard to "get to" this memory geotiff from C# since I don't
believe the VSI*L API is exposed.  So the only thing you are likely to be
able to do is access it in memory as a GDAL dataset.