[Gdal-dev] JOB: Senior Software Developer / Scientist - GDAL / OGR - C#

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Thu Jul 19 11:10:49 EDT 2007

UltraSpectral, Inc. is a small, dynamic, and rapidly growing company
based in Albuquerque, New Mexico, specializing in software development
for satellite and aerial imagery analysis.

We are seeking a talented and mathematically inclined software developer
to join our team, with particular responsibility for leading the
development of sophisticated software tools for analyzing hyperspectral
satellite and aerial images.

To be a good candidate for this job, you should be a highly skilled
programmer, with an up to date knowledge of modern object oriented
design and programming methodologies. Our primary development language
is C# on Windows / Visual Studio 2005, so fluency in C# (preferred) or
Java is required, as well as a a solid knowledge of either C or C++.
Experience with related Windows technologies such as .NET, Windows
Forms, and Visual Studio would also be helpful.

Our software uses GDAL / OGR for reading and writing raster and vector
data sources, so experience developing with either or both of these
libraries would be very useful.

Much of the software we develop uses novel and sophisticated
mathematical algorithms, and so strong mathematical skills are
essential. A good grasp of linear algebra and data modeling / statistics
would be very useful. Additionally candidates should have the ability to
adapt and invent efficient algorithms for processing large quantities of
data.

Experience with image processing methods and algorithms is highly
desirable. Particularly relevant is experience with remote sensing
(satellite / aerial) image applications and techniques. Experience with
GIS (Geographic Information System) tools such as ArcGIS and geospatial
databases would be very useful.

Importantly, applicants should be "self-starters", who are willing to
work as part of a small and relatively informal team of other talented
software developers, with a considerable degree of autonomy.
UltraSpectral, Inc. practices a modern agile approach to software
development, which requires that individuals participate in all aspects
of the software process in an iterative fashion, including requirements
analysis, design, coding and testing, in a highly collaborative fashion.

Ideally, you should hold a relevant advanced degree in a computer
science related field, although equivalent experience is also
acceptable. Salaries and benefits are highly competitive, and the exact
level will be based on experience and qualifications. We intend to
attract highly qualified and motivated individuals and are willing to
reward talent appropriately.

Much of our work is with government agencies, and so the ability to
obtain a US security clearance, which normally requires US citizenship,
would be helpful.

UltraSpectral's main office is on the northern edge of Albuquerque, so
commuting from Santa Fe is feasible. It would also be possible to work
in Santa Fe for some or most of each week.

There is no specific deadline filling this job. We will begin
interviewing people in July, and ideally, we would like to fill the job
by the end of August 2007, but exceptions can be made for exceptional
candidates.

Given the relatively short preferred hiring timescale, candidates must
be US citizens or permanent residents, or must have currently active US
work authorization.

To apply, please send a resume to Dr. Simon Perkins at
simon.perkins at ultraspectral.com.

More information can be found on UltraSpectral's website can be found at
www.ultraspectral.com.