[Gdal-dev] Is ogr2ogr the tool to use?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 24 12:37:16 EDT 2007

Nelson, Dean wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to convert the Hydro1k basin shapefiles from a "projected"
> shapefile to a Lat/Lon shape file. I am doing that with the command:
>
> ogr2ogr -t_srs WGS84 -f "ESRI Shapefile" outfile.shp infile.shp
>
> But when the shapefile is viewed, it shows up about 17km north of the
> correct data. SO the questions are:
>
> 1. Is this the best tool to do that with?
> 2. Did I do it right?
> 3. Is there a way to offset the data in ogr2ogr?

Dean,

Could you post the .prj file associated with the input shapefile?
Ogr2ogr is an appropriate tool for the job, but there are issues
with how spherical projections are converted WGS84 that may be coming
into play.  Or it might be something else.  Having the input .prj
would be helpful to determine what the issue is.