[Gdal-dev] r.out.gdal vs gdal_translate vs gdalwarp

Maciej Sieczka tutey at o2.pl
Wed Jun 6 08:37:46 EDT 2007

"Frank Warmerdam-2" wrote:

>You could file a bug report on the issue, but it isn't likely to be very
> high priority since there is a straight forward workaround.

I have just noticed that using compression might well boost the difference
in gdalwarp and gdal_translate output.

I have a GeoTIFF which is 47,605,938 bytes uncompressed. Deflated with
gdalwarp it's 20,513,882 bytes, while deflated with gdal_translate it's
13,734,032 bytes.  7 MBs, 45%  difference.

It looks like it is *always* a good idea to process any gdalwarp GeoTIFF
output with gdal_translate.

Maciek