[Gdal-dev] support for gpx and osm formats

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Jun 11 01:39:52 EDT 2007

Jachym Cepicky wrote:
> Hi, I'm wondering, how difficult it would be, to add support for gpx
> [1] and osm [2]. Would this be possible?

Jachym,

Recently, I've been thinking about these formats as well.
Also, there is another interesting format called Polish Format (PFM) [1]
which is used, among others, by OSM-like project in Poland called UMP.

The GPX format was discussed in March:

http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2007-March/012099.html

and as you can see the idea meets favouritism:

http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2007-March/012103

The OSM format support in OGR is also under consideration by OSM community:

http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2007-May/013228.html

>From my side, I think I could some help in conceptual and testing parts,
I can help with incorporating new drivers into GDAL/OGR.
Also, I could help with coding, though in some limited way.

BTW, Jens Oberender is working on the KML driver for OGR so he is
playing with XML data in OGR pretty much. I believe it would be
reasonable to use this analysis, notes and experience for other
XML-based formats:

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/SoCKMLRead

[1] From cGPSMapper manual:
Polish Format is a convenient, text based, format used for saving map
information on a computer and transferring map information between
computer programs.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot