[Gdal-dev] Support for SVG format

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 12 09:58:54 EDT 2007

Kaminski wrote:
> Is there any plans for OGR support the SVG format?
>
> It seems that format is growing as a standard for Web browsers in
> support for vector graphics..
>
> Perhaps our applications using ogr could deploy in this format if
> necessary, for internet browser navigation..
>
> Any issue about SVG?

Fabio,

I am not aware of any plans to implement SVG support in OGR.  My main
concern with implementing it in OGR directly is that SVG is a fairly
presentation oriented format, and OGR doesn't address such issues very
well.  So most people use a rendering engine, like MapServer, to convert
from OGR inputs to SVG.  This allows development of a map file to decribe
the appearance of the output SVG.