[Gdal-dev] GEOS precision model?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jun 26 14:16:13 EDT 2007

Ari Jolma wrote:
> I'm doing some rather heavy duty geocomputation with OGR (via Perl
> module Geo::OGR of course), mainly intersections. I run into a problem,
> where GEOS throws a topology exception since the vertices of the two
> geometries are very close to each other (6 digits same, then differences).
>
> I'm no GEOS guru, but it seems there is a possibility to improve the
> robustness of overlay operations with precision models(?). I think they
> could be useful for me now.
>
> Is there a way to take advantage of what GEOS offers (and what does it
> really offer, if I could have a quick lesson...) via OGR? And if not,
> would it be difficult to hack it in?

Ari,

OGR does not provide any access to the GEOS precision model.  In fact,
looking over the GEOS C API it does not either.  I think if you were
willing to do a custom build you would want to replace the following
in geos/capi/geos_c.cpp

static const GeometryFactory *geomFactory =
	GeometryFactory::getDefaultInstance();

with a customized geometry factory.  I don't know the details about
that though.