[Gdal-dev] GEOS precision model?

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 14:19:50 EDT 2007

Ari,

I've had similar problems, and I think there's been other GEOS users
with the same.  The options are quite limited however:
-- Make sure you are using the robust operations (see the C++ header
files for details on what needs to be called) in the latest release
candidate.  I don't think OGR uses these by default right now.
-- Tweak your precision models until you find something that works
consistently and good enough.
-- Use a computational geometry library that does real math like CGAL
or LEDA (I ended up taking this option).
-- Inject QD into GEOS to bump the precision up and at a likely cost
in performance <http://crd.lbl.gov/~dhbailey/mpdist/>.  I don't know
how challenging this would be, but I suspect others would be
interested in it.

Howard