[Gdal-dev] RFC 10: OGR Open Parameters

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 13 10:37:07 EDT 2007

Andrey Kiselev wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I have prepared new proposal regarding changes in OGR Open() functions.
> Please, add your comments and criticism:
>
>  http://www.gdal.org/rfc10_ogropen.html
>
> Approach suggested in RFC is already implemented and waits to be
> checked in.

Andrey,

Like Daniel I am wondering if we could avoid the backward incompatibility.

I am also wondering if we ought to take this opportunity to put the "shared"
flag into the regular open call, rather that offering it via a distinct
method/function.

I also think that the proposal should address updates to the OGR utilities
- ogrinfo and ogr2ogr - to support open options.

I also wonder if we should have a way of describing the available open
options to the application - something similar to what we do with
creation options.

Ultimately, I am not entirely keen on the approach because it will add
a substantial amount of complexity for applications wanting to allow
a user to open a dataset with full generality.

I wonder if an alternative to the auxilary options list would be a more
standardized way of encoding auxilary options into the dataset name.
Standard quoting rules, delimeters and so forth.