[Gdal-dev] Python 2.5 and Gdal-Help needed urgently

joanne matthews (RRes-Roth) joanne.matthews at bbsrc.ac.uk
Wed May 2 11:50:00 EDT 2007

Hi List,
I really don't know if I'm going about this in the right way as I have
virtually no experience building python modules but what I'm trying to
do is build a python 2.5 gdal module. So I've installed python 2.5 for
windows. I've downloaded gdal and unzipped it and that's about as far as
I've got. I notice that there is a swig/python directory so I run
D:\gdal\gdal-1.4.1\swig\python>python setup.py build -c mingw32
But then get errors:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 70, in <module>
    raise IOError, '%s. %s' % (e, "Has GDAL been made?")
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '../setup.ini'. Has GDAL
been made
?

I have tried to understand the documentation but it seems to refer to
using other compilers. I think I have to use mingw32 because of the
python version. I hope this make sense and I would be really grateful if
any one could give me some help.

Joanne Matthews