[Gdal-dev] HDF4 HDF5 and szip

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed May 2 14:39:50 EDT 2007

Gong, Shawn (Contractor) wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I have built gdal with HDF4 HDF5 and szip on Windows XP before.
> 1) download pre-compiled binary versions of external libraries
> 2) change fields such as: GDAL_HOME, HDF4_DIR, HDF5_DIR, SZIP_DIR in
> nmake.opt file
>
> I am building gdal with HDF and szip on Linux.
> Here are the questions:
> 1) nmake.opt file has
> 	# Uncomment the following and update to enable NCSA HDF Release
> 4 support.
> 	HDF4_DIR =	C:\build161\gdal\Libs\HDF41r5
> 	HDF4_LIB =	/LIBPATH:$(HDF4_DIR)\lib Ws2_32.lib
> Ws2_32.lib is a Windows library.  What Do I do with it in Linux?
>
> 2) Has anyone downloaded pre-compiled binary versions from
> ftp://ftp.hdfgroup.org/ or you downloaded src and compiled yourself?
> Where do you put the downloaded and/or the compiled files?
>
> I'll appreciate if you can share your experience with building gdal with
> HDF4 HDF5 and szip on Linux.

Shawn,

I don't have anything concrete to offer, though I'm pretty sure I've
at least once used downloaded hdf binaries on linux.  But them I feel
pretty confident hacking on the GDALmake.opt after configuration to get
what I want.

I mostly just wanted to encourage folks to update the HDF building wiki
topic with details:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/HDF