[Gdal-dev] HDF4 HDF5 and szip

Gong, Shawn (Contractor) Shawn.Gong at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed May 2 12:18:24 EDT 2007

Hi list,

I have built gdal with HDF4 HDF5 and szip on Windows XP before.
1) download pre-compiled binary versions of external libraries
2) change fields such as: GDAL_HOME, HDF4_DIR, HDF5_DIR, SZIP_DIR in
nmake.opt file

I am building gdal with HDF and szip on Linux.
Here are the questions:
1) nmake.opt file has
	# Uncomment the following and update to enable NCSA HDF Release
4 support.
	HDF4_DIR =	C:\build161\gdal\Libs\HDF41r5
	HDF4_LIB =	/LIBPATH:$(HDF4_DIR)\lib Ws2_32.lib
Ws2_32.lib is a Windows library.  What Do I do with it in Linux?

2) Has anyone downloaded pre-compiled binary versions from
ftp://ftp.hdfgroup.org/ or you downloaded src and compiled yourself?
Where do you put the downloaded and/or the compiled files?

I'll appreciate if you can share your experience with building gdal with
HDF4 HDF5 and szip on Linux.

Thanks,
Shawn