[Gdal-dev] RFC 12: Improved File Management

Ray Gardener rayg at daylongraphics.com
Mon May 7 01:49:47 EDT 2007

Hmm... I'm partial to the opposite route: abstracting away details like
the structure of datasets, since they're driver-dependant. Do callers
really need to know how datasets are organized? Is it even a warranted
assumption that the data is on a filesystem? The more we get away from a
black box model, the more maintenance it's going to be; the API surface
area keeps going up and increases the combinatorial effects. No offence,
but an RFC like this seems more like solving a symptom instead of a root
cause.

GDAL should do all file and filesystem I/O as callbacks, and a utility
reference library built on top that implements the callbacks for common
cases like C stdlib I/O, GUI filesys browsers, etc. The more GDAL
continues to know about files and filesys details, the more painful it's
going to get.

Ray