[Gdal-dev] RFC 12: Improved File Management

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Mon May 7 09:06:03 EDT 2007

Ray Gardener kirjoitti:
> Hmm... I'm partial to the opposite route: abstracting away details
> like the structure of datasets, since they're driver-dependant. Do
> callers really need to know how datasets are organized? Is it even a
> warranted assumption that the data is on a filesystem? The more we get
> away from a black box model, the more maintenance it's going to be;
> the API surface area keeps going up and increases the combinatorial
> effects. No offence, but an RFC like this seems more like solving a
> symptom instead of a root cause.
>
> GDAL should do all file and filesystem I/O as callbacks, and a utility
> reference library built on top that implements the callbacks for
> common cases like C stdlib I/O, GUI filesys browsers, etc. The more
> GDAL continues to know about files and filesys details, the more
> painful it's going to get.

Ray,

I don't quite get your point. Isn't it one of GDAL's main tasks to know
about files and their details (or WCS data sources for that matter)?

I think this RFC with the "fast identify" allow us tool developers to
build GUIs that let the users not to worry about those details - this is
in my opinion a good thing, they just want to know which raster layers
are available in a given data source. This is similar to what already
can be done with OGR.

Regards,

Ari