[Gdal-dev] gdal 1.4.1 python 2.4 windows executables

Nate Jennings nate at deltateck.com
Thu May 10 18:02:10 EDT 2007

Maybe I should ask the question like this.

>From my perusing of the threads, various websites, and those who know alot
more about building various exe's from source, is it fair to say that gdal
builds for current versions of Python (i.e. will there be an installable
.exe version of gdal for Python 2.4) are expected to come out soon after new
releases of GDAL?  Does one of the primary developers for GDAL, the FWTools
community, etc do this? and does it get posted here?  Are there typical time
frames for this?

I would like to be able to use the gdal libraries in Python 2.4 for use in
an application I am writing in Python 2.4 under Windows and the current
version of Numpy.  FWTools contains some of this functionality, but alot of
the multi-band processing comes from writing the gdal and numpy (currently
Numeric) python code through the Python Shell from within FWTools (which
uses Python 2.3).  My main hurdle is I am not too savvy with compiling the
gdal libraries from the source, plus it seems like from other contributers
from this site that it is not real straight forward and/or requires a bunch
of other compiling programs to be installed properly.

>From what I read there seems to be alot of good developments to move forward
and be able to incorporate gdal, numpy, and python.  Regarding compiling
from source, I would like to know if there are any detailed understandable
instructions for compiling the gdal for python 2.4 on windows and using open
source compilers through environments like MinGW.  There seems to be some
quirks with this and hence my reluctance to actually take on this task.

I appreciate any feedback, direction, contacts, sources, etc.

Thank you,
Nate

--
http://www.jenningsplanet.com