[Gdal-dev] new RFC 13: Improved Feature Insertion/Update/Delete Performance in Batch Mode

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:37:59 EDT 2007

Hi,

I agree in the purpose of the RFC. However it seems that this
implementation brings in some new elements in the C++ interface and
further requirements of the various drivers to implement these
functions. Hopefully not the mysql is the only driver that would
implement this functionality.

Many people use the various SWIG-ged language APIs instead of the
C/C++ interface. So we should also consider to support these API-s
with any new additions as well. In this regard implementing typemaps
for object arrays in not too straightforward and we should eventually
reconstuct the array iterating through the elements one by one. It
would certainly bring in additional delays with the completion of the
overall implementation.
To support the SWIG interfaces you should also represent these
function at the GDAL/OGR C API.

I would propose you to examine the option of providing this
functionality by using the existing API with caching the various
feature creations / additions / deletions at the provider. These
changes could be propagated to the datastore in batch using the
existing transaction mechanism. I'm sure that this behaviour have
already been implemented in various providers.

Best regards,

Tamas