[Gdal-dev] Max no of layers in OGR shapefile driver

Dave Robertson dave at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed May 16 17:25:54 EDT 2007

Hi,

I'm working with OGR and a set of 280 shapefiles each representing a
layer. I find I can open the first 84 shapefiles and all the rest
return error code 4 Error opening file). It doesn't seem to matter
which particular 84 files - I can't open any more than that. The
shapefiles are all one directory, along with their .dbf, .shx
and .qix files. I've looked at the source for the shapefile driver
and I can't see any limits built in there, and as far as I'm aware
the operating system's limit is 12500 open files (per process). The
OS is OS X.

I have loaded all the shapefiles into postgis as an experiment and I
can read all the layers from there just fine, albeit slowly.

I realise I'm probably overlooking something obvious here, but any
hints would be very much appreciated.

Regards,
Dave Robertson