[Gdal-dev] Use of gdalwarp/translate utility

Doug Nebert ddnebert at usgs.gov
Mon May 21 09:24:33 EDT 2007

guillaume huby wrote:
> On 5/18/07, *Matt Wilkie* <matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
> <mailto:matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca>> wrote:
>
>     I did not understand what that option was for, your concise explanation
>     cleaned up my confision nicely. I added it to
>     http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/GdalTranslate
>     <http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/UserDocs/GdalTranslate>
>

> Thanks for this page, but I think it needs improvements. Its contents
> are quite redundant with the official doc of gdal_translate.
> I think of two possibilities :
> 1. Modify official doc of gdal_translate to get this point more clear.
> 2. Transform this wiki page in a "HOWTO add geographic references
> (projection, coordinates) to an image using gdal_translate" with simple
> examples and explanations of commands used. This way the page would
> become a good add-on to the official doc.
> These are suggestions, I hope it will help ...

In trying to use the gdal_translate on a non-standard projection, the
hardest part I found was to determine what the allowable syntax and
meaning of the PROJ.4 parameters were (i.e. +lat_0=70, +ellps=WGS84) as
an argument to a_srs. I figured it out by googling some examples, but
there is no clean list that I could find. If there is a list of such
parameters, it should be linked from the gdal_translate page -- and the
general GDAL page for that matter -- with the appropriate support for
each projection. The GeoTIFF projections transform list is a great
start, but still does not include the PROJ.4 syntax for each projection
parameter. http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/proj_list/

Doug.