[Gdal-dev] no gdal_rasterize in Ubuntu Gutsy (1.4.1-6build1)?

Eric Lemoine eric.c2c at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 19:22:45 EST 2007

On 11/1/07, Steve Hagen <steve.hagen at unh.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I apologize if this query is insultingly basic. Bare with me, as I have just
> become my own administrator.
>
> I want to use gdal_rasterize, which I believe became available with 1.3.2, but I
> can't find the utility.
>
> Some background:
>
> I am working in Ubuntu Gutsy, on which I've installed the debian package using
> sudo apt-get install gdal-bin. I can see the installed files in /usr/bin/ and
> elsewhere. I can use gdalinfo, gdalwarp, etc. just fine. But gdal_rasterize is
> nowhere to be found.
>
> The changelog.gz file says gdal_rasterize became available with 1.3.2 (a while
> back).
>
> So, my question(s):
>
> Where is gdal_rasterize? Is it installed and I'm just missing it?
>
> If its not installed, how can I install it? (I'm a bit afraid of compiling from
> source).
>
> Any info would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Hi

I've run with the same issue on Debian. What I did is apt-get source
gdal-bin, add gdal-rasterize in some file under the debian/ dir (can't
remember which file), and rebuild the package using dpkg-buildpackage.
It's not that source code doesn't have gdal-rasterize, it's just that,
for some reason, it's not put in the Debian package.

Hope this helps,
--
Eric