[Gdal-dev] How do I set up gdal_translate to recognize GSAG?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Nov 6 12:30:03 EST 2007

Evan Thoms wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to convert an ascii surfer grid to a geotiff, but that format is
> unsupported by gdal_translate without modification. I utterly fail to
> understand how to add the required driver to the command. Can anyone
> explain in 101 language?

Evan,

If you have the driver built into GDAL you shouldn't need to do anything
special on the commandline.  Just something like:

   gdal_translate your_gsag.asc out.tif

You can verify you have the driver registered by doing:

   gdal_translate --format gsag

The driver does not appear to be in 1.4, but is in 1.5 (aka svn-trunk).  So
you either need to build from subversion (or a nightly svn-trunk snapshot) or
get development binaries (such as FWTools).