[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 1.4.4 Release Candidate 1 - NOT SO GOOD news

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Nov 23 21:19:22 EST 2007

Joaquim Luis wrote:
> The netCDF driver is still broken.
> I have repeatedly reported that netCDF COARDS compliant grids created by
> GMT have their header reported incorrectly.
> I have also submitted a patch that corrects this problem
> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/1926
> why is it being ignored?

Joaquim,

Basically for a long time I was hoping that Denis might take care of
the NetCDF driver.  I'm afraid of it and imagine that once I dig into it
I'm going to have to spent quite a bit of time studying it to make sure
that the various patches offered for it don't just break other stuff.

In IRC Howard often writes "patches welcome".  That is true, but there is
still quite a bit of work required to review patches, apply them,
prepare test cases for the test stream and so forth.

I have the vague understanding that there are several bug reports, and
even substantial rewrites of the netcdf driver waiting in Trac, and I
just haven't felt up to addressing them.

It is possible that I might attack the various netcdf related trac tickets
for 1.5, or I might not.  Perhaps Mateusz will have time to, or perhaps not.
It's hard to say.

If you are willing to take responsibility for the driver, I'd be willing to
turn it over to you, but you would need to review all the available trac
tickets on it, synthesize them, prepare test cases, etc.