[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 1.4.4 Release Candidate 1 - NOT SO GOOD news

Joaquim Luis jluis at ualg.pt
Sat Nov 24 14:43:30 EST 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Basically for a long time I was hoping that Denis might take care of
> the NetCDF driver.  I'm afraid of it and imagine that once I dig into it
> I'm going to have to spent quite a bit of time studying it to make sure
> that the various patches offered for it don't just break other stuff.

Frank,

I understand that you must verify what the submitted patches do and that
takes time an effort.
In fact I think all submitters count on that.
However, it was you who wrote "I've made non-trivial changes to the
netcdf driver"
so I though that you have decided to clean up a bit those netCDF issues.
The bug I'm referring is a relatively simple one to correct and that is
why I have a bit
difficulty to understand why is it being postponed, but that's ok with
me.  I don't even
use gdal to read netCDF files.

> If you are willing to take responsibility for the driver, I'd be
> willing to
> turn it over to you, but you would need to review all the available trac
> tickets on it, synthesize them, prepare test cases, etc.

Frank, I'll have to decline that for now because I feel that I wouldn't
honor that responsibility without
a substantial studying of both the netCDF library and other parts of the
gdal code.

Cheers
Joaquim