[Gdal-dev] OGR and the version of DBF of its shapefile driver, problem in ArcGIS 8

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Fri Oct 5 13:06:02 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam kirjoitti:
> Ari Jolma wrote:
>> I think I've hit this problem with ArcGIS 8.*:
>>
>> http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=21487
>>

> I checked the dbf specs at:
>
>   http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/format/dbf.html#DBF_STRUCT

I don't have a good access to ArcGIS either, but I downloaded a
shapefile, which I believe is made with ArcGIS(*) and then created a
similar DBF with OGR. The difference that I note in looking at the
hex-dump is that OGR uses N for both integers and floats while the other
uses F for floats(**). OGR puts the numbers into the field as XXX.XXX
while the other uses scientific notation X.XXXe+XXX

(*) zips.zip from
http://lnweb01.co.wake.nc.us/gis/gismaps.nsf/WebGlobals!OpenView&ViewCat=shp

(**) http://www.clicketyclick.dk/databases/xbase/format/data_types.html

I'm not sure if that is the problem, as I said I don't have access to
ArcGIS. Harri, if you read this, could you try that shapefile and then
similar, but OGR created, zip.dbf from http://map.hut.fi/files/misc/
(you need to rename it and save it on the top of the ZIP_Codes.dbf)?

Ari