[Gdal-dev] BSB format and legal issues

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 5 17:00:10 EDT 2007

Hey all,

I note in the docs that the BSB format (used for NOAA nautical charts)
is turned off by default in the build due to possible issues with
patents, licensing, whatever.

Does anyone know the status of this? It would be great if it could be
turned on my default, as then tools like MapServer, QGIS, etc, etc,
would be able to use them be default as well.

I work for NOAA, but have nothing to do with the charting branch, so I
have no idea and I can not speak for NOAA on this issue (though the
issue is with Maptech, not NOAA, anyway). I do know that NOAA is now
distributing the charts themselves for free:

http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/Index.htm

so things may have loosened up a bit with maptech. However:

"""
The BSB file format is the sole property of Maptech, Inc. and as such is
protected by U.S. and International foreign copyright and patent laws.

"BSB File Format” is a trademark of Maptech, Inc.
"""

I don't know what that means exactly.

If anyone knows anything about this, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll
try to dig into it from this side with my few contacts with the NOAA
charting people.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov