[Gdal-dev] Re: Turn off the old-gen Python bindings in trunk

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Oct 7 12:43:36 EDT 2007

WolfgangZ wrote:
> I also would like to try compiling gdal for Python 2.5. But some
> questions remain:
>
> - what compiler to use (I think you can get the Intel Compiler for free
> in case of non commercial use)
> - do optional formats (like ecw, jp2kak,...) require additional
> sourcecode or is everything needed already included in gdal

Wolfgang,

The GDAL team *supported* compiler is MSVC.  There is a free edition of
this that I gather will do what is needed.

Rather than put yourself in the position of having to compile all of GDAL,
I would encourage you to use the "standard" GDAL 1.4.2 release DLLs for
windows, and just build the bindings portion against them.  We can look at
compiling more plugins if that is required.  They do generally require
extra support things.

BTW, the core GDAL DLLs are compiled with MSVC 7.1, but my understanding is
that as long as you stick to using the C API (as the SWIG bindings do) it
is possible to use the DLLs from stuff built with other compilers.